Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Weta Bug - Awesome Insect, Or Nightmare?

A Giant Weta
Taken from socialmediaseo.net

Today I need to blog about a bug a friend of mine from Facebook discovered. She lives in New Zealand and found a stray Weta Bug in her bedroom. Now, while it may be winter here in the United States, New Zealand is just starting their summer! So I am sure that bugs abound there right about now!

Weta Bugs are generally pretty big but there are some that exist that are even larger than the one pictured in the link. Case in point, the Giant Weta pictured above. When I saw this bug on my friend's Facebook page, I was astounded! It looks similar to a grasshopper, but on a much larger scale. One Giant Weta was found in New Zealand on Little Barrier Island. This "giant" was much larger than any bug and even ate a carrot from the hand of the person holding it! Take a look at the article and photo here. After seeing these photos, I had to know more about these incredible bugs.

These bugs are mostly omnivores and like to eat other invertebrates, but the Tree and Giant Weta like to eat plants the most. Thank God that the Giant Weta doesn't usually eat other animals! People would have to keep a close eye on their cats and dogs with the size of them!

There are 70 different species of Weta in New Zealand (take a look at some of the species here). The Giant Weta was believed to be extinct on the mainland, but when they were found, they were protected and now show signs of recovery. Although Weta bugs can bite (and have a pretty powerful one at that!), it doesn't happen often. They also are capable of giving painful scratches to anyone or anything that threatens them. Their bites are pretty painful, as I am sure you can imagine. When they move their legs to scratch, it makes a distinctive noise. This helps with their defense to ward off attackers. Mostly, if given the chance, the Weta Bugs will just turn and try to run away. I would definitely give them the chance.

The female has something that looks like a stinger, but instead it is an ovipositor, which is something that lets her lay her eggs into wood that is rotted or into chambers at the end of burrows in the ground. The female will lay her eggs in the fall and winter and they will hatch in the springtime. Because Weta Bugs take up to two years to grow, they must shed their skin up to ten times in order to accommodate growth.

These bugs are nocturnal, so when they come out at night, they are hunting for their food. The Tree Weta will live in holes in trees that are rotting or where other bugs have created a hole. Some Weta have been known to be kept in gardens as pets! I think I'd rather have a dog (big enough so the Weta couldn't eat it).

While I find the Weta fascinating and I'm sure my kids would LOVE to see one up close, I'm pretty  thankful I'm not finding them in my bedroom like my poor friend. She says from now on, she's going to sleep with the lights ON. I think that might be a very good idea.

Cheryl


Sources: 
http://socialmediaseo.net/2011/12/02/giant-weta-insect-pictures-the-worlds-biggest-insect-eats-carrots/
http://www.nhc.net.nz/index/insects-new-zealand/weta/weta.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weta
http://www.asianscientist.com/topnews/mark-moffett-weta-bug-discovery-new-zealand-little-barrier-island-2011/



No comments:

Post a Comment